Trade In Used Clothing
Trade in used clothing is becoming the disease of the century in the textiles, clothing and footwear industries. It is creating enormous problems in every continent with tens of thousands of workers in the textiles, clothing and footwear sectors losing their employment. But while trade in used clothing creates poverty, is also a resource for the poor.
The ITGLWF is committed to :
- campaign to ensure that used clothing donated for the poor is used for that purpose, and is distributed free of charge, thus avoiding the damage being caused in developing countries;
- target those, particularly charities, who collect and trade in second hand clothing regardless of its impact on the economies of developing countries;
- develop and disseminate information on the impact of second had clothing and work to educate the public who donate such clothing;
- maintain a forum on trade on second hand clothing using the ITGLWF web-site and the internet;
- campaign for recycling through means other than re-sale be pursued;
- campaign for poverty alleviation through sustainable economic development.